Thursday, April 07, 2005

We need more creativity

I took my family to Disney World last week. It's wonderful to see a place like that through the eyes of a 3 year old. Walt really knew what he was doing. Part of his creative genius was understanding that you needed to create something people would love, rather than trying to make people love something you created.

On a professional level, the highlight of the visit was a presentation on Walt's life at the MGM park. I never realized how important the role Roy Disney played in the success of Walt Disney Enterprises. Roy was the money and business man. It was the perfect marriage between the creative dreamer of Walt and business savvy of Roy. I think that is what Disney is missing today. Now that new leadership is coming the company needs to get back to what made it great -- creativity, dreams, starry eye wonder, giving people something to love.

I guess it was summed up best by my daughter as the Walt Disney presentation came to a close: "Can we go see my Ariel show now?"